WELCOME CURLERS! Our league has been in existence in St Albert since the late 1980’s. We operate out of the St. Albert Curling Club, entirely organized and run by our own volunteer members in collaboration with the SACC General Manager & Board of Directors.
OUR MISSION is to provide 50+ curlers in our community a place where they can come together to curl for fun and fellowship and to promote an atmosphere of friendly competition and healthy social interaction.
Thank you to our league sponsors:
May 2018 Dave Elaschuk, Past President, presents Nick Wilde with a plaque acknowledging Swiss Chalet's long time support.
Welcome to the 2018-19 season of senior curling in St. Albert!
Congratulations to our first half winners!
Wednesday 9:00 'A' Trophy winners: Richard Davis Team. 'B' Trophy Winners: Tom Steele Team
Wednesday 11:30 'A' Trophy winners: David Wilkinson Team. 'B' Trophy Winners: Doug Germsheid Team
Friday Stick 9:00 Randy & Ruby Olson 10:00 Bob Lee & Kathy Tennant 11:30 Randy & Ruby Olson 12:30 John & Vera Bannister 1:30 Don Despins & Tony Lorenz
Monday 9:00 'A' Trophy winners: Bob Lee Team 'B' Trophy Winners: Al Weideman Team
Monday 11:30. 'A' Trophy winners: Dennis Manning Team 'B' Trophy Winners: Bob Jennings Team
Tuesday Stick. 9:00 Ruby & Randy Olson 10:00 Ruby & Randy Olson
Second half start dates are as follows:
Monday, January 7
Wednesday, January 9
Friday, January 11
Tuesday, January 15
Our Draws are filled for this half, however if you are new to 50+ curling in St. Albert and would like to try us on for size... we are always looking for Spares to fill in from time to time throughout the season. Drop by the Club on any curling day to speak to any one of our members or Executive about joining our Club.
Happy New Year! from the 50+ MCL Executive
2018-19 Membership & League Fees
- Mon & Wed League Fee
$165 / draw / season
Regular - Mon & Wed
$5 - Member
$8 - Non-member
- Tues & Fri League Fee
$110 / draw / season
Stick Tues & Fri
$4 - Member
$6 - Non-member
General Information for 2018-19
- REGULAR LEAGUES: We presently curl 2 draws Monday & Wednesday mornings at 9:00 & 11:30, with 10 weeks of curling before Christmas and 10 weeks after Christmas. Curlers register as individuals and we make up teams for each half of the year. The last 2 weeks of league curling is used for playoffs. All teams participate for trophies and prizes in a division determined by total points gained in the first 8 games. We also host the 2 day Swiss Chalet bonspiel in March which attracts curlers from St Albert and surrounding communities.
- STICK LEAGUE: We have an affiliated stick curling league that will host 2 draws on Tuesday mornings, and 4 or 5 x 1 hour draws each Friday am. Teams are made up of 2 curlers. Curlers may register individually or as a team. We are a fun league with 8 games & one ‘mini playoff’ game for bragging rights each ½ season. We will host a free Stick Clinic at the start of each curling season for anyone wishing to learn how to use a Stick delivery; and a 1 or 2-day Stakes ‘Spiel each season for our members and Stick curlers from the surrounding area. We follow the Canadian Stick Curling Rules. Disabled curlers of any age are welcome to participate in our Stick League.
- REGISTRATION & PAYMENT OF ANNUAL FEES: Curlers are pre-registered for their same league in the next curling season*. New curlers, and those who wish to change their day/time will be placed on a wait list for their preferred league. We will hold a Registration & Social evening in August each year, at the St. Albert Curling Club. ALL fees for the coming curling season must be paid in full on or before the Registration night in order to retain a spot in a league. After this date, unpaid spots may be filled from the wait list in the order in which they signed up. Refund policy in effect. Contact Director-Regular or Stick Curling for details. *Curling season - refers to the full year of curling, and includes both the first and second half year sessions.
- CURLING FEES: Our curling fees are set each year by the SACC Board of Directors, and cover the cost of ice rental for each of our leagues. You will note there has been a nominal increase for 2018-19. Our 50+ Mixed Curling members also enjoy ‘member’ benefits at the St. Albert Curling Club, such as access to practice ice and various member social activities, including the Annual Golf Tournament and the Member Appreciation Night.
- MEMBERSHIP FEES:
- Curlers: are charged a $10 annual membership fee which is used to cover the cost of playoff prizes in December and March, and administrative costs of the league. This also allows curlers to spare for a reduced fee, to attend our AGM luncheon and to offset the costs of social activities, including the annual Christmas party.
- Social Members: NEW for 2018-19, we will introduce a Social Membership for $25 annually. This option is intended for spouses and former curlers who may wish to continue to participate in the Social activities of the club. Social Members may attend and vote at the AGM, be active on the Executive, included on the mailing list, and participate in Social events at the Member price throughout the year.
- SPARE FEES: Our league charges spare fees to subsidize our social activities and keep costs fair for all our curlers. Spare fees are collected each morning at our Information Desk prior to curling.
- Regular Leagues: Member curlers, who are registered to play in the half, pay $5 for a game while non-member curlers pay $8. We have a Spare Coordinator, who arranges for our spares. Curlers who will miss a game need to notify their skip, who will inform the Spare Coordinator to arrange for a spare. Curlers who wish to spare should put their name on the Spare List by contacting the Spare Coordinator.
- Stick League: Member curlers, who are registered to play in the half, pay $4 for a game while non-member curlers pay $6. Players who expect to miss a game need to contact our Spare Coordinator in advance, who will then arrange for someone to spare. If a spare is needed the day of the draw due to a player not showing up, a member may fill in for no charge. Stick curlers who wish to spare should add their name to the posted Spare List.
- FUNDRAISING: We host a variety of fundraising activities throughout the year, with proceeds going toward social & wellness activities.
- SPONSORSHIP: We have a Sponsorship Coordinator who will maintain a list of all businesses who have been approached to support our 50+ Leagues. If you wish to contact a local business about donating gifts in kind (such as items or gift certificates for door prizes, silent auction items, etc) or for cash at any time, please contact the Sponsorship Director to obtain a copy of our request letter and to keep the Sponsor List current so we have no duplication. And, it goes without saying, please support our generous sponsors!
- SOCIAL and WELLNESS: Our members enjoy a few ‘extras’, such as the occasional free coffee and cookie days; Christmas party, our AGM luncheon and the wind-up bonspiel & banquet. We host a flu vaccination clinic in the fall, as well as various random social activities, such as the Turkey Shoot, throughout the year. Members are encouraged to attend our Annual General Meeting in February of each year. We also try to support our members and their spouses when they are having health and wellness issues. If you are aware of anyone having difficulties, please contact our Past President, so he may reach out on behalf of our club.
- DOUBLE AWARD: For each half season, we will draw for the “Double Award” for each of the Regular Draws and Stick League. A double takeout is defined as a shot which completely removes 2 opposing rocks from play. When your team makes a double takeout, they will honk the horn, and move the Double Board to the back of their sheet. The team which is in possession of the Double Board at the end of the draw writes their 4 names (2 for Stick) onto the Double List posted on the Bulletin Board and are thereby entered into the draw for valuable prizes.
- COMMUNICATION: We encourage all members to provide their email address as a means of receiving communication regarding our Leagues as the year progresses. In addition:
- We have a 50+ Bulletin Board in the Curling Club where draws, Double Award sheets, newsletters, calendars and other information is posted.
- An Information desk is set up in the main lobby on curling days where members and non-members can have general questions answered, purchase tickets for 50+ curling events and activities and to pay spare fees.
- This 50+MCL Information webpage is updated regularly with information about our leagues, and social events.
- The 50+ MCL Binder located in the St. Albert Curling Club office. The binder contains this league Information document & recent newsletters; AGM and Executive Meeting Minutes; copies of our Spare and Refund policies; Financial Goals & Objectives; and the Organization Chart with Executive Roles & Responsibilities.
- VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES: We would not be able to provide such a wide range of curling and social activities and special events without the support of the 50+ curling members. We regularly call for volunteers to assist with our various activities and encourage everyone to help out! After-all, ”Many hands make light work… “ (John Heywood)
- (new date) ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING: Our 2019 AGM & Luncheon is scheduled for Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at the St. Albert Curling Club. We will report on the previous year’s financial and club activities, and elect the Executive for the upcoming season. ALL members are encouraged to attend.
Once again, Welcome to our league!
on behalf of Your Executive - St. Albert 50+ Mixed Curling League
rev'd Oct. 9, 2018